Rules Of Thumb For Bit Selection
- Shale has a better drilling response to RPM.
- Limestone has a better drilling response to bit weight.
- Bits with roller bearings can be run at a higher RPM than bits with journal bearings.
- Bits with sealed bearings can give longer life than bits with open bearings,
- Milled tooth bits with journal bearings can be run at higher weights than milled tooth bits with roller bearings.
- Diamond product bits can run at higher RPM than three cone bits.
- Bits with high offset may wear more on gauge.
- Bits with high offset may cause more hole deviation.
- Cost-per-foot analysis can help you decide which bit to use.
- Examination of dulls can also help you decide which bit to use.
Was this article helpful?