Running The Bop And Riser
Before running the BOP stack check the weather forecast and refer to the 'Rig Operations' manual for the maximum vessel motion (heave, roll and pitch) for running BOP.
Running procedures vary from rig to rig due to the specific design of the stack and to the handling system (gantry cranes, fork lifts, trolleys, etc.) used for moving the BOP in and out of the moonpool area. There are also a variety of ways to land the BOP stack. For this reason provision of detailed procedures is not possible therefore the following steps are only generic.
- Skid the BOP in the moonpool to a position directly under rotary table.
- Insert the guide lines into the posts of the stack.
- Place the marine riser handling spider on the rotary table.
- Pick up a joint of marine riser using the marine riser handling sub.
- Lower the marine riser joint through the handling spider and make up to the top of the ball/flex joint.
- Lift the BOP stack and install a new ring gasket on bottom the of wellhead connector.
- Make sure the bulls-eye angle indicators are installed above and below the ball/flex joint. Ensure they are visible to the subsea TV system.
- Lower the BOP stack through the splash zone and land the riser on the handling spider. The first riser joint above the BOP should be long enough to allow the stack to be run into the water to dampen its motions.
- Continue to run the marine riser on riser joints. The riser couplings should be made up in accordance with the particular manufacturer's recommended procedures. The correct make up and preload of each coupling should be verified prior to its use as a tensile member.
- Test the choke and kill lines every third joint.
- Install the required riser pup joints to obtain the correct space out, such that the telescopic joint will be at mid stroke.
- Pick up the telescopic joint (also called slip joint), locked in the closed position, and install onto the riser assembly. Lower the riser assembly until the outer barrel is at the spider. Land the outer barrel on the spider level.
- Stroke out the slip joint inner barrel. Remove the handling spider and lower the telescopic joint through the rotary table until the riser tensioning cables can be installed on the riser tensioning ring.
On some rigs the slip joint is run in the collapsed position by using an extra joint of riser temporarily installed above the telescopic joint.
Either the shoe on the inner barrel and/or the pins that lock the slip joint in closed position, should be designed to support the combined submerged weight of the stack and riser as well as dynamic loads.
Was this article helpful?
This book will surely change your life due to the fact that after reading this book and following through with the steps that are laid out for you in a clear and concise form you will be earning as much as several thousand extra dollars a month, as you can see by the cover of the book we will be discussing how you can make cash for what is considered trash by many people, these are items that have value to many people that can be sold and help people who need these items most.
Get My Free Ebook